The Local Lobster Program (LLP) is designed to put more local lobsters in WA restaurants and on local plates. Fishers can start fishing for LLP Lobster from 01 December 2018.
There have been some key changes to the arrangements for the Local Lobster Program this December – April. These changes are:
- Each active West Coast Rock Lobster Managed Fishery Licence will be issued 100 tags.
- Local Lobster must be either sold to increase domestic supply; or donated to a registered charity.
- Retaining local lobsters for fisher’s personal consumption is not in line with the objectives of the program. Under Phase Four local lobster may not be retained for personal consumption. The new arrangements which prohibit a master, crew or licence holder having tagged local lobster at their place of residence have been introduced to prohibit personal consumption.
- However, MFL holders who have not been issued Local Lobster tags are not included in the prohibition on having tagged local lobsters at their place of residence.
- If you are not using Fish Eye then you may not participate in the Local Lobster Program, as the number of tagged local lobsters must be included in the pre-landing nomination. Note that Departmental officers are available to assist licence holders who wish to start using Fish Eye. Please contact the Fish Eye Support helpline 1300 550 763 or FishEye.Support@fish.wa.gov.au for more information.
How many LLP Lobster Tags can I collect?
The holder of a West Coast Rock Lobster Managed Fishery Licence (MFL) or master of an authorised boat named on a MFL (i.e. operating over the minimum OPERATING holding of 300 units of current entitlement) may collect 100 LLP Lobster Tags.
When and where can I collect LLP Lobster Tags?
LLP Lobster Tags will be made available from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (Fisheries) Offices at Mandurah, Fremantle, Hillarys, Lancelin, Jurien Bay and Geraldton from 19 November 2018. Please contact the office prior to collecting the Tags to ensure that the office is open.
How long am I able to to use my LLP Lobster Tags?
The LLP commences on 1 December 2018 and ceases on 30 April 2019.
Click here to read a full list of FAQs
Click here for the Instrument of Exemption notice
If you have any further queries about the LLP please contact Pia Dobson (DPIRD) on 6551 4496 or firstname.lastname@example.org.