Global leaders in innovative, sustainable lobster management

Intrastate Travel Restrictions Now in Place

COVID-19: Advice on travelling to and around Western Australia


Restrictions on travel between regions within the State are now in effect to protect Western Australians from the COVID-19 threat. These restrictions came into effect from 11:59 on Tuesday, March 31, 2020.

Regions are as defined by the boundaries of the State’s nine Regional Development Commissions, with Perth and Peel being combined into one region given the proximity and integrated nature of the two regions. For more information, please view the regional boundaries map or use the interactive mapping service.

These restrictions are a State Government directive under the Emergency Management Act 2005 (WA) and are being enforced by WA Police.

Importantly, Agriculture, food production or other primary industry are now considered an ‘essential service’ under the Act and are therefore eligible for an exemption. Freight will continue to operate and is permitted to travel through regional boundaries.

WRL specifically requested and received an industry-wide exemption for our workers needing to travel across regional boundaries for the purpose of work.

General exemptions to the intrastate travel ban include:

  • Travel for work purposes
  • To transport freight
  • To attend medical appointments
  • To attend school or an educational institution where necessary
  • To those who do not have access to groceries or supplies within their region
  • Catering for family members
  • Compassionate grounds

DPIRD is working with WA Police to establish an online service so relevant businesses and travellers can obtain Temporary Travel Permits to clarify the authority and conditions for travel. Importantly, the permits will allow fast-tracking through boundary check-points to help minimise congestion.

In the meantime, individuals seeking to travel across regional boundaries should travel with appropriate identification and evidence that they meet the categories exempted, e.g. a letter/email to support legitimate travel. If you are travelling for the purposes of working in the western rock lobster industry and would like a letter from WRL as evidence that you are required to travel for work, please contact

The directions for regional travel are available at the Government of Western Australia website.

If you would like to know more about interstate and Commonwealth/State travel restrictions, please click here.


Posted in Industry News