Recipe: Fisherman’s Stew
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 generous spoon of butter
- 1 large red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, stem removed and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 baby potatoes cut into 1/2cm slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon paprika
- Few sprigs thyme
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 Rock lobster tail (crayfish), shell on and cut into 3 – 4 segments
- 2 Ocean Mandurah mullet, filleted, skin on and cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 fillets threadfin brim, skin on
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot.
- Add onion, fennel and potatoes and fry over gentle heat, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables soften a little.
- Add garlic, spices, herbs and tomatoes and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to high and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to boil then reduce heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Add the lobster segments and squid and cook for 5 minutes and then add the mullet followed by the brim and simmer over gentle heat for another 5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Serve with a scatter of Parsley or some parsley oil with garlic and lemon rind.
Delicious with grilled bread!
This recipe is part of the BWEB Cooking Series, a six-episode series showcasing local product dishes in an easy to cook and entertaining tv programme format. You can watch the 6 video recipe web series with Anna Gare promoting Western Australia produce here.
RECIPE CREATED BY ANNA GARE