Recipe: Western Rock Lobster Noodles
An exclusive new recipe shared by talented Chef Derek Lau, one of the fan favourites in Masterchef Australia 2019. Lobster Yee Mein (Lobster Noodles) is a celebrated Chinese dish that graces wedding dinners, birthday banquets or casual dining.
- 3 fresh lobsters (approx. 500g each), heads removed, tails sliced along each intersection (1cm lengths)
- Lo Mein, Hokkien or other medium thickness egg noodles
- 4-5 tbsp cornflour
- 750ml neutral oil
- 1 generous knob of ginger, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100ml water
- 300ml beer
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 5 spring onions, sliced 1-inch lengths
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- To prepare the lobsters, remove the tail by rotating the tail clockwise back and forth and then releasing. Slice the tail in 1cm lengths (along the natural incisions of the tail), ensuring that the shell is still intact. Slice the head in half lengthways, reserving the tomalley.
- In a wok, heat the oil until approx. 180 degrees or if you put the end of a wooden chopstick in it starts to sizzle. Coat the lobster meat (exclude the head) with a dusting of cornflour. In batches, fry off the lobster for 1-2 minutes. Remove the lobster and set aside. Drain the oil and reserve.
- For the noodles, cook egg noodles according to packet. Then add 2 tbsp of the oil the lobster has been cooked in, into a wok and fry off the noodles in batches. Remove and set aside in serving bowl.
- In the wok, place 2 tbsp of the oil that the lobster has been cooked in back in and heat. Fry off the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add in the rice wine, soy, sugar and beer. Cook the alcohol of the beer (2-3 minutes).
- In a separate cup, mix the cornflour, chicken stock, and water. Add this to the wok and reduce until thickened. Season to taste (this will depend on the beer you’ve used, you may need more sugar, salt or soy).
- Add in the lobster that you have pre-fried before. This will help in sweetening the mix. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the lobster has mostly cooked through. Remove the lobster and place on top of the noodles.
- Add the heads, then spring onions. Cook for 2-3 mins and serve.
RECIPE CREATED BY DEREK LAU