Safety Leadership specifically means that you:
- Avoid unnecessary risks because safety on the boat is one of your personal values.
- Always follow the safety processes described in the boat’s safety management system (also referred to as an SMS)
- Regularly reinforce with your crew the SMS content to ensure they act the way you do and always follow the safety procedures of the boat.
- Regularly ask your crew for ideas to improve safety on the boat and, if there is a good suggestion, you implement it.
- Regularly review the information available to you to improve the safety processes on the boat – this might be from WorkSafe, AMSA or the industry resource web page: Fish Safe Australia
Stay tuned for the next Leadership in Safety topic. If you require advice or support related to your Safety Management System or safety in general, please contact:
Tanya Adams, safety specialist for the professional fishing industry.
P: 0417 961 973