How to Become a WRL Associate Member
Associate membership of WRL is open to any persons who would like to keep up-to-date with and be involved in the western rock lobster industry.
As the peak body for the industry, we are the voice of our Members and by taking out a membership you can be a part of the conversations that will drive the future of our fishery.
Joining WRL as an Associate Member is a great opportunity for those ineligible to be an Ordinary (or Voting) Member -i.e. people who do not own a Managed Fishery Licence (MFL)- but still want to take part in the industry. Associate Members have the opportunity to engage with and contribute their insights and expertise to the work of the Council through a variety of activities.
There are some basic criteria you need to meet for your application to be considered by the WRL Board at a Board meeting.
Any of the following persons are eligible to become an Associate Member of the Association for so long as they are:
- a lessee of an MFL; and/or
- a holder of Units; and/or
- a lessee of Units; and/or
- a person who the Board determines has a real and significant interest in the promotion and support of the objects of the Association. Any such person may apply to the Association for Associate Membership.
Please note: In the WRL Rules of Association clause 5.3 states that a lessee includes a person holding a right to carry on commercial fishing in the WCRLF by agreement with the MFL licensee or with the unit holder.
Benefits of Associate Membership
Nominate for Election to the WRL Board
- Under the WRL’s Rules of Association, only Ordinary Member and an Associate Member may nominate for election to the WRL Board.
- As an Associate Member, and if you would like to nominate for a position on the WRL Board, you are required to be nominated by an Ordinary Member holding an MFL with Units of usual entitlement in the relevant Zone that you wish to nominate for.
Connect with us
- Regular emails on the latest news and updates concerning the rock lobster industry.
- Access to our monthly Newsletter.
Have a voice within the rock lobster industry
- Opportunity to join our committees and working groups to help shape the future of the lobster industry.
- Networking opportunities with other fishers and broader stakeholders.
Please note: An Associate Member is not eligible to vote at General Meetings.
How to Apply
- Click Here to download the application form.
- Complete and sign the application form.
- Send your completed form by email to email@example.com or by post to Western Rock Lobster, 28 Mews Road, Fremantle WA 6160.
- The WRL Board will consider your application at its next Board meeting. The Board may accept or reject in its absolute discretion.
- WRL will notify you of the outcome of your application.
If you have any questions about joining WRL as an Associate Member, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9432 7722.